How to Choose the Right Visa for You

Visiting the United States isn’t as difficult as it once was, but navigating the visa system can be confusing and overwhelming. This is especially true when you’re unsure which visa applies to you and your family members. There are common visas such as student and tourist visas that most everyone has heard of before, but there are several lesser-known visa options that may be what you need as well. At De Castroverde, our team of experienced attorneys understands this complex process and is here to assist you.

What Visa Applies to Vacations?

Visa Information - Nevada Immigration Lawyers - De Castroverde Law Group

If you’re planning a vacation or holiday to the United States, you need to apply for a B-2 visa. This non-immigrant visa is issued to people entering the U.S. only temporarily for tourism or pleasure. You can also apply for the B-2 or visitor’s visa if you’re a foreign citizen and want to visit friends or family and attend functions or ceremonies.

What Visa Applies to Work?

The H-1B visa is used by employers in America who want to hire professionals for specific occupations that require the employer to have highly specialized knowledge in the area. The person applying for the visa may need a bachelor’s degree or higher in the specialized field of work. Their employer in the U.S. sponsors the person receiving the H-1B visa.

The H-2A and H-2B visas may be permitted to allow employers in the U.S. to bring foreign nationals to fill temporary jobs in the United States. There’s also an H-3 visa, which is available for trainees. Determining which you qualify for can be confusing. Luckily the attorneys at De Castroverde can help you through the process.

What Visa Applies to Studies?

The F-1 visa is designed for academic students continuing their education within the United States. They must enter full-time at an accredited college, university, seminary, conservatory, high school, or elementary school. For many, their first F-1 visa will be an English language program. Some take the path of F-1 visa to an employee-sponsored H-1B professional and then finally apply for their green card.

What Visa Applies to Medical Treatment?

To qualify for the B-2 visa, you’ll need to be able to prove that you qualify for this treatment and that the treatment is not only necessary but unavailable in your home country. You must also prove that you’re financially able to pay the U.S. healthcare costs for your treatment. Approval will require letters of medical necessity from your home physician and a professional practicing in the U.S. healthcare system.

What Visa Applies to Doctor Training?

Many medical professionals travel to the United States to obtain or complete their medical degrees. The J-1 visa is the most common international medical graduate visa. With the J-1 visa program, a medical resident can apply each year, up to seven years, for a one-year extension on their visa. The H-1B visa is also an option for foreign medical professionals who visit the U.S. to conduct research or set up a practice.

What Are the Visa Options for Business Professionals?

If you’re an entrepreneur, such as a treaty trader or investor from another country, you need to apply for an E visa. The E-2 visa is for a foreign national investor with a sizable stake, at least 50% ownership, in a U.S. entity. Those with an E-2 visa direct enterprise operations in which they are investing, or have invested, a significant amount of money.

There’s also the L-1 visa for non-immigrants which enables U.S. businesses to transfer their employees with specialized knowledge abroad: managers, executives, and employees for one year at minimum. This allows them to bring employees from affiliated foreign offices to a United States office.

What Visa Applies to Experts in Your Field?

If you’re a professional recognized internationally or nationally for your achievements, you may qualify for an O visa. The O-1A visa is a non-immigrant visa available for specialized abilities in education, science, athletics, or business. A type O-1B visa is made for media professionals and actors.

What Are Family-Based Visas?

A foreign citizen who wants to live in the United States permanently will need an immigrant visa. To complete an immigrant visa application, you need to be sponsored by either an immediate relative at least 21 years of age who is a U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident, known as a green-card holder. There are two different types of family-based immigrant visas. These include:

  • Immediate relative such as a child, parent, or spouse: This category is not limited to each fiscal year.
  • Family Preference visas are specifically for more distant family members and are limited per fiscal year.

United States citizens can file immigrant visa petitions for their spouse, child, brother, sister, or parent. A United States permanent resident can file for their spouse or unmarried child.

How Can an Attorney Help?

In recent years there have been significant changes to the immigration policy. Even family-based applications take longer to process and can cause frustration and confusion. There are a lot of documents and forms involved when applying for a visa. An attorney who specializes in visas and immigration can help by identifying necessary documents, helping you fill out your forms, and ensuring they are correctly submitted on your behalf. Contact the knowledgeable team at De Castroverde today to see how we can help you or your family member.

Call De Castroverde Today

If you or a family member wish to obtain a visa and enter the United States for work, school, or the various other categories, having a knowledgeable lawyer on your side can make all the difference. The Las Vegas immigration lawyers at De Castroverde understand the complex regulations involved with visas and other immigration issues. We have extensive experience working with those who wish to obtain or change their visa status. Give us a call at 702-827-4891 or via our convenient and secure online messaging form to discuss your visa options.