Child neglect may be defined as abandoning a child or failing to provide a child with necessary shelter, care, food, medical treatment, or proper supervision. Many of these circumstances involve a failure to act, as opposed to an intentional act that causes harm to a child (child abuse).
Failing to act or properly care for a child may be considered child neglect, and a defendant may face criminal penalties as well as intervention by Child Protective Services, which may place the child with relatives or in a foster home. Enhanced penalties may apply if the child is under the age of 13 or if the defendant has one or more prior convictions for child neglect or domestic violence. If you face these allegations, it’s important to consult with a Nevada child neglect defense lawyer to understand your options moving forward.
Penalties for Child Neglect in Las Vegas
Nevada is serious about protecting its youngest citizens and imposes harsh penalties on convicted offenders. Child neglect is considered child abuse and is subject to harsh punishment. Either abuse or neglect is the intentional physical or mental injury of a minor.
According to NRS § 200.508, possible charges and corresponding penalties for child neglect include:
- Willful neglect that results in physical or mental harm to a child is a Category B felony punishable by up to 20 years of imprisonment
- Willful neglect that does not cause physical or mental harm to a child is a Category B felony and is punishable by up to six years of imprisonment
- Previous convictions for child neglect can lead to sentence enhancements. The state also imposes additional penalties of varying severity.
If you or a loved one is facing child neglect charges, our child neglect defense attorney in Las Vegas will help you build a strong defense strategy and prove the charges are unwarranted.
Our Nevada Criminal Defense Lawyer Can Help You Protect Your Good Name
In addition to severe criminal penalties, individuals accused or convicted of child neglect can also face personal and societal penalties. Even false accusations of neglect can damage:
- Your reputation in your family and community
- Your relationship with your children and other children in your family
- Your career if it involves working with or around minors
When investigators and administrators with the Nevada Department of Health & Human Services Division of Child & Family Services (DCFS) get involved in your child neglect case, you might experience various outcomes, including:
- An intrusive and invasive investigation
- The removal of your child from your home
- Court-ordered intervention
- Ongoing assessments of your family life
Our Las Vegas criminal defense lawyer and legal team do more than protect you from unfair criminal allegations. We also help you navigate the process of DCFS authorities’ involvement and investigation into your family life and start putting your life back together. We will help you understand what is happening and how state law applies to your case.
Our Las Vegas Criminal Defense Attorney Will Build Your Defense Against Child Neglect Charges
Child abuse allegations can tear your family apart and turn your personal or professional life upside down. At De Castroverde Criminal & Immigration Lawyers, our child neglect defense attorney in Las Vegas represents:
- Family members
- Childcare professionals
Defenses to child neglect allegations in Las Vegas include:
- Accidental or misunderstood incidents. Children are active and energetic and can accidentally sustain injuries that might be attributed to abuse or neglect.
- Lack of physical or psychological injuries. Allegations of abuse likely cannot be proven if there is no evidence of physical or emotional injuries to the child in question.
- False or misleading allegations. Embittered parents, nasty divorces, and other unseemly incidents can lead to false accusations that give the accusing party an upper hand in legal and other matters.
When we take on your case, the first thing we do is listen to your version of events with compassion and understanding and without judgment. Our goal is to bring the truth to light and protect every client we represent.
We also make sure you receive ongoing updates so that you are never left wondering about the progress of your case or your own future.
Previous Clients Recommend Our Nevada Child Neglect Defense Lawyer
When clients our law firm has defended in the past leave online reviews, they say the following:
- Preston Maye: Attorney Hendricks was patient and very effective when handling my case and I’d recommend him to anyone who is in need of a top tier criminal defense attorney. Very knowledgeable and his staff is professional and courteous.
- Jennifer Carrillo: Highly satisfied with my experience. Craig was a thorough professional. He educated me on what to expect, what the likely outcome would be and then he achieved it…I would highly recommend De Castroverde Criminal & Immigration Lawyers to anyone needing legal help.
We work hard to help every client we represent to get a fresh start to put their lives back together. You can read more reviews from clients we have helped on our client testimonials page.
Need a Las Vegas Child Neglect Defense Attorney?
There are situations where a parent may be accused of neglect based upon false allegations. A vengeful former spouse may make wrongful accusations in an attempt to gain sole custody. Law enforcement may arrive at the scene of an accident or domestic dispute and make assumptions based on false information or witness accounts.
No matter the circumstances of the child neglect charges you may be facing, a criminal defense attorney at our Las Vegas law offices can help. We are committed to representing defendants throughout the Clark County area who have been arrested for or accused of child neglect, child abuse, and all forms of domestic violence.
Get Legal Support by Calling Our Vegas Child Neglect Defense Team Today
If you are facing any type of domestic violence charges related to your child or children, you cannot afford to wait any longer to retain legal counsel. Having an aggressive advocate for your rights may make all the difference in the outcome of your case and your ability to keep custody of your child or children.
Contact a Las Vegas child neglect defense attorney from De Castroverde Criminal & Immigration Lawyers today to learn how we can build a compelling defense case on your behalf.