Las Vegas, NV First DUI Offense Attorneys
Even a first drunk driving offense can have serious consequences for a driver. Imprisonment and license suspension are possible, as well as heavy fines and court fees. Although community service may be granted in lieu of jail time a defendant will still have a conviction on his or her criminal record. This may affect employment opportunities and one’s reputation for years.
Penalties for a First DUI Conviction
Following are the basic penalties that may be imposed for a first-time intoxicated driving offense in Nevada. It is important to note that these penalties may vary depending on the unique circumstances of the case and the presence of any factors that may result in enhanced sentencing, such as a child in the vehicle at the time of the offense or an extremely high blood alcohol concentration.
- 2 days to 6 months in county jail (a defendant may face 24 hours to 96 hours of community service instead)
- Fines of $400 to $1,000
- Court fees (often $600 for a first DUI)
- 90-day suspension of your driver’s license and a civil penalty fee of $35
- DUI School, paid for by the defendant
- Victim Impact Panel, a MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) lecture
- Possible ignition interlock device in the defendant’s vehicle, at the defendant’s expense
Las Vegas Criminal Lawyer: Helping to Fight Your Charges
Immediately involving an experienced defense attorney is one of the most advantageous steps you can take if you were arrested for drunk driving. A dedicated DUI lawyer can work to protect your driving privileges at your DMV hearing and can also protect you from a conviction by representing your interests through the criminal court process.
Our talented team as successfully represented countless clients against drunk driving charges, and we would be proud to fight for you. Contact a skilled lawyer at De Castroverde Law Group to learn more about your defense options!